For bookings phone Maxine Mould 01527 525948
The building now known as Ankcorn House is in fact the former schoolhouse in Mappleborough Green and is situated on the main A435 Birmingham to Alcester Road. The building is mid to late 18th century with 19th century additions to the rear. The school was originally a single classroom but the later addition gave it two classrooms in total. The building has Gothic ogee-arched windows, with casements of two arched lights and glazing bars.
The school was initially established in 1853 and the premises for the school were provided by Sir William Jaffray (Bart), whose family lived at Skilts. It was mainly the farm workers children who were educated in the school. It continued as a village school until 1964 when the staff and pupils moved into a new purpose built building on the Henley Road.
The old schoolhouse then gradually fell into a state of disrepair but was rescued and restored in 1987 and transformed into a church meeting room for the nearby Church of the Holy Ascension. The architect was Graham J Masefield and the churchwardens were J E Ankcorn and F A Stephens. The building was named Ankcorn House after the Ankcorn family who had been faithful church members for many years.
In 2008 the main room was completely refurbished giving ample storage space and changing it into a lounge with comfortable chairs. The floor was carpeted; the room re-decorated and new ceiling lighting was installed. In 2014 a complete refit of the kitchen was undertaken to bring it up to a modern standard.
The building, which is single storey, is Grade II listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest and is list entry Number 1185753.