The Church of the Holy Ascension
It appears that a settlement of some kind could be found at Mappleborough Green from a very early date. According to Dugdale the village was originally known as “The Haywood” or “The Grove Haia”, which in 1201, Peter Corbizum granted to “William son of Geoffrey”. In 1341, this land was surrendered to Peter de Montfort of Beaudesert. Until 1824 it remained part of the common waste of the parish of Studley.
The Church of the Holy Ascension is a ‘plant’ of Studley and was commissioned and financed by Sir William Jaffray, Bart. (of Skilts). Built in memory of his first wife Mabel, the Church was initially opened on Wednesday 11th July 1888. The Dedication sermon was preached by The Lord Bishop of Worcester. (The Church was included in the Worcester Diocese.)
The building specifications are recorded in a document written at the time of the Church’s unveiling. ‘For its size the Church has an aspect of unusual dignity due alike to the excellent proportions designed by the architect and to the skilful manner in which the constructional ornament is combined with severe simplicity of general lines.’
Mappleborough Church is well known for its warm welcome, where people feel comfortable whether they are regular worshippers or visitors Services are held every Sunday at 10.00 a.m. and alternate between traditional, contemporary and lively all age worship. Details can be found on the weekly news sheet and monthly diary page on this website.
Below is a list of services for the next three weeks. For more information please go to the Church Diary page.
Sunday 27 January 2019
1 Corinthians 12: 12-31a
Luke 4: 14-21
Sunday 3 February 2019
1 Corinthians: Chapter 13
Luke 2: 22-40
Sunday 10 February 2019